Saturday, May 17, 2008

Family Time

I am currently sitting in the Denver Airport awaiting my flight to Austin following the funeral of my Uncle Allan. Unlce Allan was one man that EVERYBODY loved. It didn't matter how long you knew him, he endeared himself to you almost immediately. He passed on Mother's Day following a 2-year battle with cancer. He was certainly brave and strong to the end but it was time for his suffering to end.

As I was sitting in the funeral I was touched by numerous events. The first was Allan's wife Aunt Lou being so strong and noticing her youngest granddaughter, Kayla, really struggling on the pew behind her. It was so touching to see this grandma, who is saying goodbye to her high school sweetheart, wave her granddaughter up to come sit with her and embrace and comfort her during the ceremony. To see that love and selflessness was really touching.

The other moment that really wet my eyes was when the American Legion honored Uncle Allan for his service in the Navy with a 21-gun salute and presented Aunt Lou with the flag that covered his coffin. Allan was so proud of the work he did to protect our freedoms as Americans.

I sat and thought of my family and friends and the marriages that surround me and hoped that those I love will be lucky enough to have a lifetime love - even amidst the struggles of life - like Alan and Lou have shared. I will continue to pray for all of those relationships as well as my prayer for a relationship like that of my own.


2 comments:

Perks said...

Sweet thoughts...thanks for sharing.

SheridanLeftwich said...

I am so glad God has blessed us with such a dear friend who I know prays for us. Thanks for all the ways you love our family unconditionally.

We are so sorry for your loss.

We love you!

Josh, Sheridan and the kids