Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Roatan Shark Dive

We took our final dive in Roatan today and we definitely saved the best for last. We went on a shark dive off the southern coast of the island. At the end of the reef - about two miles out and 70 feet down - is a sandy area next to a coral wall where the school of sharks spend their time. At first, we stood against the reef and watched the sharks swim in front of us then we were given the go-ahead to swim out in the blue with the sharks. There were about 18 reef sharks circling and swimming right up and around us for about 15 minutes. At the end of the dive the dive master opened his bucket of chum and the sharks went into a feeding frenzy trying to get the chum out of the bucket. It was quite a site and an amazing experience! Enjoy the pics!









5 comments:

Perks said...

You are insane. I would of passed out.

Melissa Jackson said...

You are much braver than me, my friend. The times that I have been scuba diving, I always have a nervous feeling that there is some creature like a shark lurking behind me that I can't see. As cool as it seems, I don't think I'd be able to brink myself to intentionally dive with them...at least if I wasn't in a secure cage! You got some great pictures of your dives! Do you have a waterproof digital camera?

Stephen Grove said...

Yeah. I have a waterproof housing for my canon camera. It works great!! It was really fun diving with the sharks and really wasn't scary at all. They were not interested in us at all.

Corrie said...

I'm with Denise -- you're insane. First skydiving, now swimming with sharks -- what next? If you keep this up, I'll have to stop reading your blog because it will stress me out too much.

da momma said...

Absolutely crazy! If I was your momma I'd slap you!