Monday, July 6, 2009

Roatan, Honduras

I'm on the island of Roatan, Honduras on a dive trip with Bananarama Dive Shop. I have done four dives already - Spooky Channel, West End Wall, Overheat Reef and Lighthouse Estates. One more dive is scheduled for today then I will do a shark-dive on Tuesday. Roatan is a great place. My buddy Brad and I have spent the mornings diving then head up to the house for lunch and a nap before hanging out at the beach until dinner each day. They have had live music the last two nights but we missed out on Firedancers and Crab Races last night because the government moved the curfew up to 6:30 because of riots and unrest on the mainland due to the military coup and ouster of Honduran President Zelaya. There are no signs of government unrest here on the island other than the concern of the locals about their government and country's future freedom. It will be interesting to see how this all develops as the week progresses. From what I gather from the locals they are glad to be rid of Zelaya - who is too much like Hugo Chavez and is trying to extend his rule. Yesterday he tried to return to Honduras but the military blocked his plane from landing with the use of military vehicles strategically placed on the runway.

I hope you enjoy the pics below. Lots of dive pics as well as some pics of other random events such as slacklining - my new favorite sport - and a pic of the crab that bit me on the toe. I paid him back by cooking him and having crabmeat in my eggs for breakfast! :)
Slacklining on the beach.


Making my way through a ravine on Overheat Reef.


This crab ran out in front of me on the road one night and bit me on my toe.

A moray eel on West End Wall.




Heading in to a swim-thru on Overheat Reef.


A shot of Spooky Channel - our first dive site.

Sunset on West Bay Beach

No comments: